Sports Deitary

Welcome to my Blog

Monday, March 3, 2008

Henry to miss Olympics

Fri, 29 Feb 2008

Triple Olympic champion Jodie Henry is to miss August's Beijing Games after failing to overcome a pelvic injury, the swimmer said.

Henry, who won the women's 100 metres freestyle in Athens four years ago and was a member of Australia's victorious 4x100m freestyle and 4x100m medley relay squads, said she would miss next month's selection trials, ruling her out of competing at Beijing.
The Australian trials in Sydney from Mar. 22-29 are compulsory for swimmers hoping to compete in Beijing.
"It has been a very hard decision to make as the Olympics is every swimmer's goal and I would have loved to be able to go to Beijing and try to defend my title and help the girls win another relay," Henry said.
"I have been struggling with an injury which has meant that I haven't been able to train as much as I would have liked, and as much as I have needed to, to be ready for the Olympic trials.
"Whilst missing the Olympic team is a huge disappointment for me, I am pleased because now that my injury has been finally diagnosed I can start on the road to recovery."
The former world 100m freestyle record holder has been suffering from an injury to muscles around her pelvis, which has restricted the amount of training she can do.




No comments: