Sports Deitary

Welcome to my Blog

Monday, March 3, 2008

Els completes Classic comeback

Mon, 03 March, 2008

Ernie Els shot a final-round 67 to win the Honda Classic, his first victory on U.S. soil for nearly four years.

The world number four finished on six under to pip Britain's Luke Donald by a shot and land his first U.S. PGA Tour title since the 2004 Memorial tournament.
Els, accompanied around the course by his sports psychologist, stormed into the lead with four birdies in the opening nine holes and he remained bogey free until the 17th.
"I am so excited, it has been a long time coming. It is a great feeling, I feel really relieved," he said.
"It has been a tough ride for everyone but ultimately you have to believe you can do it."
A gusty breeze on a tough course made for a tight contest where a few errors were always going to make the difference.
Els said the wind may have been an important factor.
"When you are chasing you need tough conditions. So I was happy the wind blew.I'm not a bad wind player and I felt comfortable with that," he said.
Joint overnight leader Donald, who won the event in 2006, bogeyed four holes but was in with a chance right until the end of the par-five 18th.
From a decent fairway position, Donald drove his third shot far right of the hole on to the verge of the green but his chip fell short to end his hopes of forcing a playoff.
After finishing third at the Northern Trust Open in California last month, Donald said his second place was confirmation of his progress.
"There is a lot to build on, these are very encouraging results. I feel like I'm learning every week and getting better for it," he said.
Mark Calcavecchia had been neck and neck with Els through much of the day but his chance went with a bizarre double bogey on the 15th when a bunker shot from the back of the green rolled off the putting surface and lodged in the rocks.
The experienced American finished tied fourth on three under, level with Australians Robert Allenby and Matt Jones.
"It didn't go my way, it wasn't my time. I hit it in the water three times. I said that I had to keep my ball dry and if I had done that it would have been a very different story," Calcavecchia said.
Australian Nathan Green fired a final-round three-under 67 to finish third, a shot behind Donald.

No comments: