Sports Deitary

Welcome to my Blog

Monday, March 3, 2008

ATP Tour - Darcis upsets Soderling to win Memphis

Mon, 03 Mar 07:10:00 2008

Belgian Steve Darcis captured his second career tournament by upsetting eighth seed Robin Soderling 6-3 7-6 to win the Memphis Championship.

Unseeded Darcis captured the second-set tiebreak 7-5 to win the match in 75 minutes and secure the winner's paycheck of $163,750.
"It's the second victory for me in two finals," Darcis reflected. "That's unreal. It's just amazing how I feel right now."
His only other title came in Amersfoort, in the Netherlands, last July.
Darcis only needed one break of serve to secure the first set and the Belgian never lost his serve during the match, facing only one break point.
Soderling beat top seed Andy Roddick in the quarter-finals and had not previously lost his serve in the tournament.
"He played really well," Soederling said. "He didn't miss much on his serve, much better than I expected him to do.
"It's a shame that I have played my worst match in finals for two weeks in a row now."
The Swede also lost in the Rotterdam final last week

No comments: