Sports Deitary

Welcome to my Blog

Monday, August 18, 2008

Nadal Pleased to Win One for His People is now World no. 1


Gold medallist Rafael Nadal of Spain celebrates on the podium during the medal ceremony after the men's singles competition at the 2008 Olympic Games August 17, 2008.

Rafael Nadal won over Chilean Fernando Gonzalez on Sunday, celebrating the No. 1 ranking with the gold medal at Olympics. After being ranked No. 2 in the world for an exact 141 weeks, Nadal will take over the first position from Swiss Roger Federer on Monday.

“Different pressure? No, I don’t think so. It doesn’t change too much between two weeks ago and right now. The pressure is the same because I will be No. 1 tomorrow, but at the same time I want to continue to win the same titles when I was No. 2. I want to continue to be in the top form when I was No. 2. Probably I’m going to be No. 2 another time in a few months,” said Nadal after winning the gold medal at the Beijing Olympics.

It is not a wonder that Nadal is enjoying a great run this season, defeating Roger Federrer in two consecutive finals of Grand Slams–French Open and Wimbledon. And now, he has crowned his achievements with a gold medal at the Olympics.

By winning the Olympic gold medal, Nadal has moved closer to the Golden Slam category where he would top Roger Federrer to win all the Grand Slams and also the Olympic gold medal.

Nadal became the first top-five ranked player in the recent era of Olympic Men’s tennis to win the Gold Medal.

No comments: