Sports Deitary

Welcome to my Blog

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Jankovic in doubt for Games


Incoming world number one Jelena Jankovic on Saturday admitted she was in doubt for the Beijing Olympics after picking up a calf strain.

Jankovic, who will reach the top ranking on Monday despite an injury-hit season, appeared at a press conference with her right leg strapped and said she wouldn't risk aggravating the problem.

"I'll practise on Saturday and will see on Sunday how everything goes," she said.

"If I can't play, if I'm not going to be able to give my best on the court, I will not go. It's not a risk I will take."

The 23-year-old Jankovic said she damaged her calf by over-compensating while recovering from a serious left knee problem.

Jankovic, who is set to replace fellow Serb Ana Ivanovic as world number one, is due to play Zimbabwe's Cara Black in the first round.

No comments: