Sports Deitary

Welcome to my Blog

Friday, February 20, 2009

Nadal pulls out of Dubai tournament to rest knee


World number one Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from next week's Dubai tournament
to continue his recovery from a knee complaint, he said on T
hursday.

"I am very disappointed not to be able to compete in Dubai but the doctor has advised me to stay home and rest after the pain in my knee in Rotterdam last week," the Spaniard said in a statement on his website.

"It's nothing to be worried about but it needs some rest. I ask my fans and the tournament organisers to understand and I am sorry for this. Dubai is one of my favourite tournaments and I have always played there.

"I expect to be back in competition the following week for the Davis Cup tie in Benidorm against Serbia and then for Indian Wells and Miami after that."

Nadal's knee problem surfaced during last Sunday's World Indoor Tournament final in Rotterdam when he was beaten 6-3 4-6 6-0 by Briton Andy Murray.

The next day Nadal told reporters in Madrid he had a problem with a tendon just below his knee but was not worried about it.

Spain's Davis Cup opener against Serbia starts on March 6.

No comments: