Sports Deitary

Welcome to my Blog

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I'm prepared to slug it out: Sania Mirza


Sania Mirza, relegated to the sidelines for the last four months, will be back in the competitive mix on Wednesday. Action begins on January 7 in the star-studded Hong Kong exhibition, now being played in a team challenge format.

The 22-year-old Indian will play alongside China's Zheng Jie in the Asia Pacific team. They open against a formidable Russian side, comprising Anna Chakvetadze and Vera Zvonareva.

Sania will clash with friend and former doubles partner Chakvetadze in her comeback match while Zheng plays Zvonareva. The other teams in the competition are Europe, headed by world No. 1 Jelena Jankovic, and Americas, led by Venus Williams.

Sania, trendily turned out in blue jeans and a white jacket, was part of the inaugural photo session of the Hong Kong event. "I've played enough tennis to know that it's going to take me a while to find my feet again. The more matches I get under my belt, the better for me," she said.

Sania, who was out of action for the better part of 2008 with an injured wrist that went under the knife in April, is at her best physically. "Being fit and being match-fit are two different things," she said. "I know it's going to take me a while to get match-fit again and I'm prepared to slug it out. I'm looking forward to the thrill of competing again."

Ranked No. 31 at the start of 2008, Sania's ranking spiralled out of the top 100. She's presently ranked 100. She has 30 points to defend at Hobart next week (where she'll only play doubles) and 90 during the Australian Open fortnight. If she fails to win a round in Melbourne, her ranking could dip to the 150 region by early February.

Sania's father Imran, who coaches the Hyderabadi, was hopeful that she'd pick up pace by the summer.

No comments: